Naomi takes a fall down the school steps, causing temporary amnesia. Her relationships with all significant people in her life change; some permanently, some temporarily. Naomi is heavily involved with the school yearbook and shares a gift for photography with her mother. Ultimately, Naomi recovers her memory and navigates her new life.
I was really disappointed with this novel. It lurched from one adolescent crisis to another - parents, step families, half-siblings, friends, boyfriends, identity... It was as if Zevin tried to address all possible issues facing a young person. These were superficially delt with and not resolved satisfactorily for me. Perhaps I am getting old!
Friday, January 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I haven't read this book - but am disappointed that it didn't measure up. Zevin's first novel "elsewhere" was spectacular. "Elsewhere" is about a 16 year old girl who is killed in a bike accident - she ends up in place that could be Heaven (We are never sure) and has to learn to accept her death before she can move on. A little bit of "Lovely Bones", but without the grisly bits. Worth a read even if "Teenage Amnesiac" was a let down.
I enjoyed this book.
I think the point of it is about the choices made in life. If you were given a complete break from the memories of how those choices were made, if you looked afresh at everyone around you, would you make the same choices, and relate to others in the same way.
Early teens would enjoy this. Have read Elsewhere and found it ok, but this one more readable and realistic.
Post a Comment