"Nefariously written and ignominiously illustrated by the author: Lois Lowry"
After reading the story of Hansel and Gretel Mr and Mrs Willoughby devise a plan to leave their four children in the care of a nanny while they go adventuring. This is a story that parodies several well known fairy tales and children's stories. It is a classic story about good overcoming evil and includes all the elements of a great story: nice guys, bad guys, tragedy, farce, abandoned babies, and caring nannies. The story also includes stereotypes, which adds to the humour.
The book also includes a glossary of terms (villainous, winsome, nefarious etc) and a bibliography which includes a list of books that are about "piteous but appealing orphans, ill-tempered and stingy relatives..." A fun read.
Sunday, February 01, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I remember reading this book. I had such a laugh. I think it will make a good read aloud.
Post a Comment